Word of God speak, let it fall down like rain....

seeking God's plan for my life, one day at a time...

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Singleness

For the past two weeks I've been working on a 10 page paper for my Christian Life and Discipleship class, and just writing it has really challenged me. Originally my topic was going to be on the spritual discipline of worship. But as I thought about it, yes I've experienced different forms of worship but I didn't really know how to express how I felt about it in 10 pages. So...I decided to go with a topic that tugs a little harder on my heart strings....."Singleness"...well not just singleness....."Singleness and the Christian Woman's Life". I started reasearching for it, and then I realized.."Hey, I'm a single Christian Woman, I can have an opinion about this!" I couldn't believe how much I got into writing this, I mean don't get me wrong I like school, but normally I'm not excited about writing a paper. OK, I'll get to my point. Basically what I learned from doing this assignment, (well I knew it before but it never REALLY sunk in) is that right now, my single life stage, is so crucial. Like, right now is my time to grow spiritually, get intimate with God, and really experience him. For the longest time I've depended on other people for my happiness, well mostly guys, but also my friends and family. But I've been challenged to REALLY trust God with this area of my life. Oh ya, it's way harder said than done, and believe me I've said it a few times! But I believe that it's something we should surrender to God everyday! Like any other single woman, I have the desire in my heart to fall in love, to get married, and have a family....all that jazz. (God does promise us that if we delight our selves in him he will give us the desires of our hearts.) But ultimately those things can not satisfy me unless I'm in love with my heavenly father, my creator. Is this an easy thing? I believe that loving him can be easy, but putting all your trust in him and handing him the pen of your life...that's hard! It's because we're in a fight...the devil is always trying to turn us a way from God, and us getting frustrated with God over our singleness and pushing him out of the way because we want to be in charge, that's just giving satan what he wants. I challenge you, if you're single, to take advantage of this time, and fall in love with your "groom" Jesus. If you are in a relationship...take a look at it and see who you have as 1st priority? And just put all your trust in him!!!

I think that's enough of my rambling for today....don't even know if it made sense.


Jess

3 Comments:

  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger Ian said…

    as one man once said..
    "First things first,
    Second things second."

    Although i'm not a single christian female i do completely agree with your points about taking up the time of singleness to work on a relationship with our Lord Jesus, because even when we're in a relationship no one should be able to take his coveted spot in that 1st place podium in our lives. Or at least. Thats what i think.
    God Bless ya!

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Esther Atkins said…

    Hey Jess!
    I completely agree with everything you put! and I go through the exact same struggles! It's definilty a hard step to trust it all to God! Hardest struggle in my life!! But I'm so proud of you taking this step to appreciate the "journey" of singleness instead of always worrying about when your mr. right is going to come along!
    I love yah and I'm always praying for u!!

    Esther

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Ian said…

    hey, just thought you might want a good verse for that kind of thing. It's not specific but the verse always helps me.

    James 1:2-4
    Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith deveops perseverance.

    I think in all situations in life you need to be able to lean fully on God and though sometimes it seems hard, he's always there. I will be praying for you too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home